Saturday, January 16, 2010

A New Hand at an Old Friend


The digestif known as bitters flavors a number of cocktails, not least of which is my favorite, the Manhattan. Angostura makes the most famous brandname, but many recipes exist for making bitters and some of these can be found online. I tried an orange bitters recipe a little while back with good, but not perfect, results. So I wanted to give it another whirl, this time with my own flavors.

I have a guess as to what flavors I want, and I know with certainty what I don't. The problem with the orange bitters recipe as written: the alcohol is too strong leaving an antiseptic aftertaste. I want something richer, deeper, bolder and a little more complex. Something with hint of spice. We took a trip to Boulder, to our spice shop and apothecary.

Spice shops for me are like candy shops for little children. The apothecary jars filled with rich, exotic spices which promise such wonders, but with a Mona Lisa smile hinting at the mysteries still to be unlocked. Oh! And the aroma! Even walking on the sidewalk past the door, the fragrance calls to me like a siren's song. Savory Spice Shop certainly delivers on every wonderful promise.

When you go to a spice shop, open the jars and get a good whiff of the flavor. Experience how the spice hits the nose--is it all bright, in the nostrils? Or does it hit the back of the throat? You can get a great sense of how something will taste just from its smell. This is good when you are creating your own new recipe. Also, ASK FOR HELP. Savory's staff is knowledgeable and very friendly and was, frankly, very patient with me. What is the difference between California and Turkish bay leaves? Star anise and anise seed? This clove vs that clove? How do these flavors mix? If this was the type of flavor you were going for, what else would you try?


For the bitters I'm working toward, I know I want to start with Whiskey as the base and Rosemary as the central element, so I am looking for a deep supporting cast. Juniper Berries to add another complimentary evergreen flavor; California Bay Leaves to deepen the complexity while adding a slight minty brightness; Star Anise and toasted Cardamon Pods to add sweetness. And I use Wormwood Extract instead of Gentian Root Extract to keep the bitterness more herbal rather than woody.

This is absolutely a work in progress. I'll give you the recipe and let you know how it goes. 2 weeks.




Rosemary Bitters

750ml Canadian Club 100 Proof
about 10-12 inches of fresh Rosemary sprigs (I used the tips of our Rosemary plant)
4 leaves Organic California Bay Leaves
10 Juniper Berries, lightly crushed
6 Green Cardamom Pods, toasted in a skillet
3 stars Star Anise
20 drops Wormwood Extract

Combine all ingredients in an airtight glass jar. (Lets keep it clean, people. Wash it well, first.) Swirl the concoction around immediately and then every other day for 2 weeks. When not shaking it, store it in a cool, dark place.

After 2 weeks, strain for big chunks, then filter through a water filter (I use a Britta). Bottle in a VERY clean bottle, seal, and if you can stand it, let it rest for another 2 weeks to develop flavors.

Serve a shot over ice, or combine into your favorite cocktail.
Orange Bitters
This recipe is pretty good and the flavor has certainly improved over the past 2 weeks since making it. No one told me to store it before consuming. I highly recommend this last step. (Credit to Chow.com for this one.)

750 ml Everclear 151
1/2 lbs dehydrated Orange Peel
1 teaspoon Fennel Seed
1/2 teaspoon Coriander
4 Cardamom Pods
20 drops Gentian Extract

Combine all ingredients in a very clean, glass jar with an airtight lid. Shake well and store in a cool, dark locale. Shake it every other day.

At the end of 2 weeks, strain and filter. (See recommendation above.) I HIGHLY RECOMMEND letting some of it sit for another 2 weeks before using.
The Manhattan

8 count pour of Bourbon
2-4 count pour of Sweet Vermouth
1-2 count pour of Orange Bitters (above)
Garnish

Combine Bourbon, Vermouth, & Bitters in a cocktail shaker, over ice. Shake vigorously, strain into chilled cocktail glass.

Garnish with a Maraschino Cherry, Orange Twist, Orange Slice or Lemon Twist.

(For those who were never bartenders nor had a bartender as a BFF, a 1 count pour is a less-than-one-second count with a bar pourer in the mouth of the bottle. A 4 count pour is about 1 1/2 oz of a liquid.)


Now, go entertain yourself. We are laughing uproariously over FUpenguin. Unless you are my Mom. Then you should still look at this link and laugh. It's funny, with strong language and irony. I'm still going to church.

No comments:

Post a Comment