Thursday, June 10, 2010

Cooking for One

My beautiful and perfect wife is out of town with her mom and sister, and I'm home alone.  A time for quietude, watching sports, playing video games and puttering.  And I'm also by myself for tonight's dinner.  Yes, sometimes that happens for every one.  So what do you cook when you're cooking for one?

First of all, this is a chance to eat all those things that your significant other doesn't want to eat or won't let you eat.  Spam is at the top of my list.  (A nice fried Spam and egg sandwich with a little cheddar cheese melted on it---MMMMMM!)  H hates Spam.  I also like sardines and other canned fish, and since our bugs outing, bamboo caterpillars.  H is not especially fond of any of these.

I also eat a lot of the leftovers from the refrigerator.  Tuna casserole and day-old pizza.  I also make popcorn and eat some fruit.  I confess, left to my own devices for a day or two, I don't eat a lot of vegetables. 

But if I'm really cooking for one, what should I be making?  Does it have to be significantly different from cooking for two or more?  Short answer "no."  And "yes." 

Cook as you're used to cooking.  If you make too much, enjoy the leftovers. But try new things.  If you fail miserably, you don't have to share your embarrassment with anyone else.  This is a time for invention! 

Tonight's invention:

Banana Quesadillas
1 Banana
sliced or shredded Cheddar Cheese
2 Corn Tortillas
Butter
Chili Powder

Butter one side of both tortillas.  Place one tortilla in a medium hot skillet, butter side down.  Slice  banana onto the tortilla and layer cheese on top.  Sprinkle chili powder on top, to taste. Cover with the other tortilla, butter-side out. 

Heat until the cheese is melty and the bottom tortilla is golden brown.  Flip.  Heat until that tortilla is brown, too. 

Goes great with black beans, shredded lettuce, tomatoes and a dollop sour cream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment