Sunday, February 5, 2012

Are You Ready for Some Over-Eating?

It's that time again.  Two teams take the field.  One will emerge the victor; the other....

Honestly, I'm indifferent to the teams involved, but the ritual is wonderful.  People all over the country get together and enjoy the most glorious exhibition of television advertising and gastronomic over-indulgence.  This is the most American of all celebrations!  That is the part I love.

I've recounted the legend of our previous game day adventures to a land so distant (we have to drive for more than an hour, so that makes it distant in Colorado) and a home so wonderful (it truly is a lovely home with beautiful hosts) and all of the bounty laid before us (e.g., lobster, crab legs, mannicotti, key lime pies, flowing beverages, and dozens of snacks) that a Roman Saturnalia would pale in comparrison!  I am certain this year will be no exception, I will offer a recap soon.

(For those of you concerned about my diet, I enter into today guilt-free.  I will try not to over indugle, but rather I will enjoy to my heart's contentment.  Then I will return happily to my life of watched calories and extra exercise.  Besides, I am still a glutton at heart.)

I also accept this day and this party as a challenge.  I like to push the boundaries of what I've done before and create something bold.  To that end, I present to you:

Mac and Cheese Bites
3/4 cup shredded Gouda
3/4 cup shredded Sharp White Cheddar
3/4 cup shredded Fontina
1 14oz bottle of Guinness (less a sip)
1 cup Milk
1/4 cup Butter
1/2 teaspoon Salt
4 tablespoons Flour
8 pieces of Bacon, cooked and crumbled
12 oz of Shell Macaroni, cooked and drained
many Won Ton Wrappers
Canola Oil for frying
Egg wash

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Melt the butter in a sauce pan.  Over a low heat, stir in the flour and salt to make a roux--a thick paste.  Stir in the Guinness and the milk.  Stir in the cheese, a 1/2 of a cup at a time, allowing it to melt completely before adding the next next 1/2 cup.  The sauce will continue to thicken.

Stir in the bacon bits and the macaroni.

Pour the mac and cheese into a casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes.  Allow the casserole to cool completely.

Heat oil to 375 degrees in a large Dutch oven or fryer.

This next part is best when you do it with a friend.  Taking 1 spoonful at a time, center on a won ton skin.  Brush the edges with an egg wash and seal.

Place no more than 4 or 5 won tons in at a time or the oil will cool too much and the food become greasy.  Cook until golden brown on all sides.  Let drain on an elevated rack.

To rewarm, place in a 250 degree oven for 15 minutes.

This recipe makes a somewhat bitter mac and cheese.  You can change the cheeses to something sweeter, or you can compliment with great sauces.  I am going to serve warm with dipping sauces.

No comments:

Post a Comment